[Fig. 1] Firefighters and other emergency personnel at the historic Paradise Theater in The Bronx after extinguishing blaze (click to enlarge).
Earlier this afternoon, the historic Paradise Theater in The Bronx – a landmark – caught fire. Though it reached two alarms, firefighters extinguished the blaze within an hour and a half. From what I saw upon emerging from the subway, there was no visible damage to the building’s exterior; however, the interior’s a different story. 😦
It was not immediately clear what sparked the fire, which tore through the top floor and caused “extensive fire, water and smoke damage,” a fire spokesman said.
More from the New York Post:
The two-alarm blaze began shortly before 4 p.m. at the Loews Paradise Theater on the Grand Concourse in Fordham Heights while welders were doing renovation work.
It was spared structural harm — but did suffer smoke damage, authorities said.
More than 150 firefighters battled the blaze in the basement and top floor — both spots where the welders had been working.
Bravest extinguished the flames about 5:20 p.m., according to an FDNY spokesman. Two firefighters were injured and brought to Jacobi Hospital in stable condition.
(All emphasis mine.)
According to this blog post, errant sparks infiltrated an air duct and ignited the blaze as welders performed restoration work; hence, the fire was accidental.
This means the damage is repairable – a huge relief given the Paradise’s recent resurrection as a mixed-use complex which hosts concerts (indeed, it recently hosted the Black Girls Rock! awards show).