is the concourse becoming a grand boulevard of death?

Recent motor vehicle incidents along the Grand Concourse have some Bronxites concerned about safety.

From the Norwood News:

Two Bronxites getting ready to celebrate the holidays were mowed down in separate incidents, just two-blocks away from each other on the Grand Concourse– during a 25-hour period leading up to Christmas Eve.

The still-unidentified 26-year old male victim remains hospitalized at St. Barnabas Hospital after being struck by a 1999 BMW SUV at the corner of the Grand Concourse and E. 198 Street, at just before 7 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 23.

At the time the victim was said to be in critical condition and was not expected to live, though their condition was upgraded to stable.

***

Less information is available on the second victim, a woman who was struck by an SUV on the corner of E. 196 Street and the Grand Concourse at just before 8 p.m. on December 24.

According to witnesses at the scene, including two family members of the victim– the victim was collateral damage after a 2-vehicle, chain-reaction crash that pushed the first vehicle into the crosswalk.

This victim was transported to St. Barnabas Hospital and was expected to make a complete recovery.

A section of the Grand Concourse between E. 161 Street and E. 167 Street underwent an $18 million redevelopment project that was completed in 2008. The project included widened medians and improved lighting.

After completion of the project there had been talk to redevelop the section between E. 167 Street and E. 171 Street, but that plan has apparently stalled.

Longtime Bedford Park resident Karen Mendez, a mother of four children, lives on the Grand Concourse between the two intersections where the victims were hit. She says it has been, “many years” since any work has been done on the 10-lane thoroughfare.

(Emphasis mine.)

To be fair, NYC’s Department of Transportation has repaved some roads and added a few pedestrian islands along the Grand Concourse to increase safety. In my view, however, anything short of giving the entire Grand Boulevard and Concourse the same treatment as the historic stretch between 161st Street and 167th Street isn’t enough – and don’t get me started on the sorry state of the IND Concourse subway line!

“Boulevard of Death” indeed.

Discuss (Be respectful. No trolling or threats allowed; violators subject to moderation or ban. Thanks!)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s